Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Mashed Potatoes - With Flavor Added

Growing up, I never really liked potatoes -- especially mashed potatoes. My mom always made them from scratch (never from a box), but I don't think she put anything in them... maybe a little salt. And I didn't like them at all. 

Now that I live in Idaho, I've had to change my mind about potatoes. My new motto is: If you add enough fat and flavor, potatoes taste amazing! 

Anyway, I came across this recipe for "Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes" several years ago in a Costco Connection flyer that came in the mail. They're easy, and I love the flavor. I usually use Russet potatoes, and they've never turned out "gummy." 

Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes

Yield: 9x13" baking pan, or 10-12 servings

5 lb   Baking potatoes
1/2 c Butter, softened
1 c    Sour cream (low fat is ok)
8 oz   Cream cheese, softened
1 ts    Salt, to taste

Scrub, peel and rinse the potatoes. Cut them into 2-inch pieces. Place them in a large stockpot and cover with water. Boil until fork tender, approximately 18-20 minutes.

Drain potatoes and add remaining ingredients to warm potatoes in large mixing bowl. Mash and mix well. To thoroughly mix ingredients you may want to use a hand or stand mixer. Taste and adjust amount of salt if necessary. 

If not serving immediately, transfer mashed potatoes to a shallow baking dish and cover with foil. Potatoes can be kept warm in the oven at this point, refrigerated, or frozen. 

Make-ahead tip: These can be made several days ahead and kept in the refrigerator. Preheat the oven to 350 F. and bake for 30-45 minutes or until hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment