Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Quiche Lorraine - Not Just for Breakfast!

Gathering ingredients
At our house, we often like to have "breakfast" foods for dinner. I'm not sure where I got this Quiche recipe, but I've used it for years and it always turns out delicious.

Simmering bacon
The time-consuming part for me is making the pie crust. I could just buy a crust, but I'm addicted to the delectable flavor of homemade pie crust. In my younger years, I made pie crusts that looked beautiful, but were a bit tough - not as light and flaky as I like. I have learned to make a flaky crust, by using less water, but I admit that it doesn't look very beautiful.... 

Maybe someday I'll be able to make a crust that is both beautiful AND light and flaky.

Bacon, cheese, & onions in pie shell

Quiche Lorraine

9" Pie crust, unbaked
1/2 lb Bacon, crisped & crumbled
4 oz Swiss cheese, grated
1/3 C Minced onion
4  Eggs
2 C Whipping cream or light cream
3/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Sugar
1/8 tsp Cayenne red pepper

Heat oven to 425 F. degrees. Prepare the pastry. Cook and crumble the bacon. Sprinkle bacon, cheese, and onion in pastry shell. In a bowl, beat eggs slightly and blend in the remaining ingredients. Pour cream mixture into pie pan.

Ready for the oven
Bake 15 minutes; then reduce heat to 300 F. and bake 30 minutes, or until knife inserted 1" from edge comes out clean. Let pie rest 10 minutes before cutting and serving. 
Serves about 6

Mmm! Looks & smells delicious!

 Pie Crust

1 C Flour
1/2 tsp Salt
1/3 C Shortening
2-1/2 to 3-1/2 TB Cold water

In medium bowl, combine flour and salt. Using pastry blender, cut in shortening until particles are the size of small peas. Sprinkle flour mixture with water, 1 tablespoon at a time, while tossing and mixing lightly with a fork. Add water just until dough is moist enough to hold together.

Form dough into a ball. Place on well-floured surface. Flatten ball slightly; smooth edges. Roll dough to a cirlce 1" larger than inverted 9" pan. Ease crust carefully into pan. Press in place. Trim edges and crinkle or mold edge as desired.

Serves about 6

No comments:

Post a Comment