Sunday, March 8, 2015


Sausage Calzones

I'm sorry that I haven't posted for a while. I decided to go back to college and it has consumed 100% of my spare time. I am completing an internship now for a few months, so I can spare the time to do some of the things I enjoy (like baking!).

I have made Italian Calzones before, and have a recipe in my cookbook (using Italian sausage and chopped spinach) that my family has enjoyed for many years. But, I have to tell you - this recipe is not only faster than my original, but it also tops it in taste. This version reminds me of an inside-out sausage pizza! It is moist and flavorful without topping it with any additional sauce.

I adapted this recipe from a recipe called "Lasagna Calzones," by Gerry Speirs, on Pinterest. I made a few adjustments and substituted my favorite homemade pizza dough recipe for the Pillsbury refrigerated crust. Here's my new favorite:

Dough:

1-1/3 c very warm water
2 TB olive oil
3/4 tsp salt
3-1/2 c flour (all-purpose)
1/2 c wheat flour (or use more white)
2 tsp yeast

Filling:

1 TB vegetable oil
1 lb ground Italian pork sausage (I used Jimmy Dean brand)
1 c tomato pasta sauce (I used Prego Italian Sausage & Garlic flavor spaghetti sauce)
1/2 c ricotta cheese
2 c shredded mozzarella cheese (approx. 8 oz)

I put all of the Dough ingredients in a bread machine, set it to the DOUGH setting, and leave it until it is done, about 90 minutes later. However, if you don't have this wonderful machine, you can still make the dough by hand. Combine the wet ingredients, then the dry, then knead in the flours until you have a light and pliable dough. Let rise in a greased bowl, covered, in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.

While the dough is rising, you can prepare the filling. Heat the oil in a frying pan or skillet, and add the sausage. Cook, stirring constantly until meat is no longer pink. Remove from heat and add the pasta sauce, ricotta, and 1 cup of the mozzarella. Stir to mix.

Preheat oven to 400 F. degrees. Grease 2 baking sheets and sprinkle them with some cornmeal, if desired. Roll out the pizza dough to 1/4" - 1/2" thick on a floured surface. Cut dough into circles, approximately 6.25" in diameter. I used my Norpro Large Dough Press ($7), like this one at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-1041-Large-Dough-Dumpling/dp/B000IBP3NK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425849784&sr=8-1&keywords=norpro+large+dough+press

With the back side of the press, I cut the circles. But you could use a narrow-edged bowl, or cut out a circle of baking/wax paper to use as a pattern. Put 1/8 of the filling into one side of each circle of dough. It measures about 1/4 cup of filling, heaping, for each calzone. Put 2 TB of mozzarella on top of the filling, fold the dough in half, over the filling, bringing edges together to seal. With a moist fingertip, moisten the inside of the edges that will seal. Press edges tightly together in the Dough Press or with a fork.

Put the filled calzones onto prepared baking sheets. Make 2 knife pokes in the top dough each calzone, for steam to escape. Bake them for about 20 minutes, until golden brown. Remove immediately from baking sheet. Serve warm with a side dish of salad for a delicious meal! Makes 8 calzones.

Note: If you rolled the dough too thick and you still have leftover filling, it also tastes great wrapped in a large flour tortilla (like a burrito). Spread a little butter on it, after wrapping, and bake it right alongside the calzones. Crispy and flavorful!

No comments:

Post a Comment